What is Dental Implant?
A Dental Implant is an artificial tooth root made of titanium which looks like a screw or post and is both strong and light. The implant is surgically inserted into the jaw to support a replacement tooth – dental crown, bridge and removable or fixed dentures.
Over time, the jawbone fuses to the dental implant. Implants
Dental implants consist of three components –
- Titanium implant: The screw that is placed into the jawbone
- Implant abutment: The connector that supports the crown
- Implant crown: Placed on the abutment
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Most ideal solution to replace missing tooth or teeth
- Feels natural and comfortable
- Excellent long-term retention and stability
- Prevents bone loss and gum erosion
- Maintains facial aesthetic
Why are Dental Implants better than Dental Bridges?
- Tooth Preparation: A bridge involves reducing the adjacent healthy teeth to support the crown over the missing teeth. With Dental Implants, the neighboring teeth need not be prepared or crowned, thereby preventing damage of healthy teeth.
- Durability & Longevity: Gum and bone loss may occur under a bridge. In the long run, Dental Bridges need to be eventually replaced. Whereas, as Dental Implants are fabricated from a strong metal, they are much more sturdy and resistant to decay and gum problems.
- Oral Hygiene: As Dental Bridges involve at least three crowns connected, meticulous oral care becomes very crucial. Special floss tip bristles are required for maintain proper oral hygiene. While in the case of Dental Implants, you can effectively brush and floss around the implant just like natural teeth.
- Aesthetics: Dental Implants provide more pleasing results as the final tooth size and shape can be customized leading to a more natural appearence.
- Eating Habits: With the use of dental implants, you can eat and chew anything you desire, just like natural teeth.